Health and Wellbeing is of paramount importance to everyone. As a Physical Education department, it is our aim to inspire every student to enjoy being physically active.
Being physically active and having a sound knowledge of how to stay healthy, does not necessarily have to mean playing competitive Sport. We pride ourselves on offering a wide variety of sports and activities to our students, allowing them to make informed decisions on how to remain active when they leave us in Year 11.
The Physical Education Department at Ash Manor School consists of seven highly qualified Teachers, all of whom compete regularly in their own sport and have a genuine passion for promoting Healthy Active lifestyles.
We are able to offer our students the use of fantastic sports facilities, including a floodlit 3G Football Pitch, netball courts, Sports Hall, 5 trampolines, Grass Pitches, Gymnasium, Access to the Fitness Suite and an Indoor tennis center.
Year 7 (Breadth)
When students first start at Ash Manor, our aim is to expose them to as many sports and opportunities as possible, grabbing their attention from the very first lesson!
The current Year 7 Curriculum includes Football (Girls and Boys), Rugby, Netball, Handball, Lacrosse, Tennis, Trampolining, Table Tennis, Volleyball, Badminton, OAA, Athletics, Rounders, Softball, Dodgeball, Cricket and Gymnastics.
Year 8 (Depth)
In Year 8, students begin to study a variety of Sports in more detail, with regards to rules and regulations as well as gaining a better understanding of key techniques and tactics.
Year 9 (Expertise)
Year 9 students will experience a range of sports and activities in much greater detail. Students also study a unit of work in the well-equipped Fitness Suite. Leadership in lessons will be assessed, whilst opportunities to coach each other will be regular. Students will also have an exciting Theory content to their lessons- Once a term, their lesson will be based in a classroom, learning GCSE standard content including the Components of Fitness, Muscular and Skeletal Systems and Training Methods.
In Years 10 and 11, students will see a more recreational element to their PE lessons. Matches, Tournaments and Inter Team competitions form a fundamental part of their learning experience. A Sports Education program is also introduced, allowing for mixed sex lessons to take place.
GCSE Physical Education
The examination course is extremely popular, with over 40 students taking this as an option each year. 60% of the final grade is based on Practical Performance, whilst the remaining 40% is a written exam at the end of Year 11.
Extra Curricular Opportunities
We have a thriving extra curricular program on offer to our Students with over 10 clubs running every week. Activities on offer include: Boys and Girls Football, Rugby, Netball, Trampolining, Basketball, Cricket, Rounders and Athletics. In addition, the extremely popular ‘Sports Club’ runs on a Friday, allowing students to manage their own sports activities, using our brilliant facilities.
The ‘Sports Teams’
In July 2014, we launched the 4 ‘Sports Teams’. The aim was to encourage mass participation in sports events and encourage friendly competition between students.
Team Ennis, Team Bolt, Team Williams and Team Beckham were formed, and each student is allocated to a team. There are tournaments and events running throughout the year, as well as plenty of opportunity for competition in PE lessons.
Other Key Events
Design Technology Department
Modern Foreign Languages